YOUR DEMOCRACY ETHOS
The ethos of Your Democracy is its essential character, its DNA. It is worth stating at the outset of the project for the same reason that the elements of a pre-nuptial contract are worth discussing at the beginning of a relationship: at the start of every partnership, anything is possible - or so it seems. Just think of falling in love. Our ethos statement is like a pre-nuptial contract, which may help us think through possible eventualities which might arise before we start working together on this project.
The ethos of Your Democracy is stated here in the form of mission, vision and values - which is management-speak shorthand for the basic elements of an organisation's ethos. Like a pre-nuptial contract, it will be worth little more than the paper it is written on if it isn't based on a series of genuine, trusting conversations.
Our vision reflects our long-term aspiration; the mission is a concrete statement of the ends we seek to achieve, whose specificity should help us stay focussed on what matters, guide our evaluation of what we actually achieved, and work together collaboratively and cooperatively regardless of our individual differences. Our values guide us in every day management and will be honoured in pursuit of our mission.
What's your democracy ethos? What you'll find on the site now is just a conversation-starter for an ongoing thread that will be revisited periodically to help us stay in tune with each other's thinking as the project evolves.
To provide a safe, readily accessible space for Australians who care about our democracy - however they vote and whatever political philosophy they support - to actively help preserve and enhance it.
To harness the desire of Australians to actively defend our democracy by providing the means for them to do so in the way they wish and to help such Australians to connect to and work with others across Australia and the world with the same desire
(1) Respect for the dignity of everyone who participates in Your Democracy
(2) The right of everyone committed to Your Democracy’s mission and vision to participate provided they do not disregard or abuse the rights of others to do so
(3) Transparency, fairness and honesty in Your Democracy’s operations
(4) Ethical and legal conduct at all times
(5) Plagiarising, defamation and the abuse of other participants for personal or financial gain are NEVERS and may result in the exclusion of perpetrators from participation in Your Democracy